HOME MADE CHOCOLATE
Chocolate is often considered a comfort food, a mood enhancer or a fast fix. It is made combining cacao, sugars, fat and milk. Clearly, too much of it can increase your weight and sugar levels if you consume it daily.
The good news is that clean dark chocolate, especially good quality – more than 70% cacao and sugar free, can be very beneficial for you. Consuming good quality dark chocolate, is a must in one’s healthy diet.
3 REASONS WHY
1. It is packed with minerals such as potassium, zinc and selenium.
2. It is good for your heart and blood circulation.
3. It is one of the best antioxidants source available.
It is incredibly easy to make your own chocolate, free of sugars and other additives.
This is what you will need to make a block of dark chocolate:
180 g cacao butter – you will find this in solid blocks. Cacao butter is actually the fat extracted from the cacao bean. Healthy fats.
120 g raw cacao powder – The difference from the regular cacao is that it has a lighter colour and it is less processed. You can also use regular cacao.
½ teaspoon vanilla essence – get the best quality you can afford.
10 ml agave syrup – or more depending on how sweet you like it.
1. Chop the cacao butter in small chunks and place it in a bowl. Place the bowl on top of a pan with boiling water and allow the cacao butter to melt slowly under the heat of the steam. It will only take a few minutes.
2. When everything have melted, remove it from the steam, mix in the cacao one spoon at the time stirring slowly until it all becomes nice and smooth. Add the agave, according to your taste top up with vanilla and mix well to a silky texture.
3. Get your chocolate mould and pour the mixture in. You can use a small food box container a small baking tin, really anything or any shape that you fancy to allow the chocolate to set. Allow it to set in the fridge for an hour or so and is ready to be consumed.
Feel free to add your own flavours, nuts, dried fruits, salt or chilly. I encourage you to get creative and make your own special chocolate.
Let me know how it went and remember that even though this is the healthiest version, it still have lots of calories, therefore go easy on it!